Go Back   Mothers' Hideaway > Kiddie Island > The Kiddie Pool

Notices

Old 05-18-2010, 05:38 PM
Administrator

Sleep Training Style

How do you sleep train your kids? Why do you think that works for you? Why did you choose that method?

Old 05-18-2010, 07:16 PM
Gettin' Lei'd

CIO didn't work for us. Not that we really gave it a good go...I just can't handle a crying baby.

We got the No Cry Sleep Solution book. I read it and made some choices from it, and it worked well.

It helped wonders getting him down for bed without needing to nurse but it was his night time wakings that were bad. I BF until he was 13 months old and at that age he was still waking up a few times through the night, wanting to nurse. He'd sleep 6 hrs at a time....but some times it was worse. At 13 months I weaned him and tried the NCSS again. It was like night and day. The week before this he was waking up EIGHT times in a night....then he started sleeping right through, it took about a week.

So that's my personal recommendation. I heard about it through some of the other mommies that are now on here!
Old 05-18-2010, 07:31 PM
Gettin' Lei'd

We struggled and struggled to get Aiden to go down for day/nighttime sleep. I rocked, shushed, fed, cuddled--you name it, we did it. The thing that worked best? Letting him cry for 10-15 minutes until he passed out! Aiden is very high-strung and stubborn, so CIO worked wonders for him (still does sometimes). It has never been for more than 20-30 minutes, so it was never too painful for any of us.
Old 05-18-2010, 08:22 PM
Loving my 2 little men

We did a mixture of CIO and NCSS. Whatever we did worked! Our bedtime:

Rock and read some books/listen to lullabies and go into crib asleep. So far it's working. I hope we can do it for the next one.
Old 05-18-2010, 09:45 PM
Gettin' Lei'd

I tried all kinds of things. I bought the NCSS book and some things worked but not for very long. At 13 months, after trying CIO for a while but with checking on him, I realized I needed to stay away completely. Going in to check on Shane, at bed time and in the middle of the night is NOT a good idea. After I stopped checking on him it took 3 nights and he wakes up maybe once every two weeks at night. And I leave him there. He still cries at bed or nap time now sometimes but not for more than 5 mins. The book that really helped me was called "sleeping through the night"
Old 05-18-2010, 10:09 PM
Gettin' Lei'd

After doing a lot of research I have really violently strong feelings against CIO at any age, but especially under 12 months. Some of the things in NCSS worked for us, other than that I stuck with Dr Sears' advice. But Dr Jay Cutler's night weaning technique, implemented when Cash was 16 months old, is what really made the difference for us. I plan to try it with this baby when she is about 13-14 months.
Old 05-18-2010, 11:16 PM
Gettin' Lei'd

Re: Sleep Training Style

Ella is going to be 3 and STILL doesn't go to bed on her own. Totally my fault, because I won't do CIO even now with her because of her heart condition. She either falls asleep on my lap while I'm watching TV or I lay with her.

Our sleeping situation is a mess that nobody but me created and definitely need to figure something out before this baby gets here ~ or I'll GO CRAZY!

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
Old 05-19-2010, 08:00 AM
Gettin' Lei'd

We did a modified version of CIO. I let her cry until I couldn't stand it anymore and then went back in. Eventually (mainly once she was weaned) it got to where I stopped putting her in her crib and trying to make her go to sleep and instead, I let her hang out with us in the living room until she gets sleepy and falls asleep on the couch. Then I put her in bed and she usually sleeps all night.
Old 05-20-2010, 06:26 AM
!PENIS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbunnygirl View Post
After doing a lot of research I have really violently strong feelings against CIO at any age, but especially under 12 months. Some of the things in NCSS worked for us, other than that I stuck with Dr Sears' advice. But Dr Jay Cutler's night weaning technique, implemented when Cash was 16 months old, is what really made the difference for us. I plan to try it with this baby when she is about 13-14 months.
Yup. I agree with you there. My pedi strongly advises against any sort of night weaning/CIO before a year, as many babies take in a huge amount of their daily caloric needs at night.

Obviously we do not CIO. We did a modified version of the NCSS and the Dr. Jay Gordon Nightweaning plan at 14 months old when I night weaned her. She was in bed with us up until then because she did nurse through the night and especially when she was a newborn.

Once we transitioned her into her crib it was rough but it got much better. Now we rock her for a few minutes (this is after our bedtime routine) and then lay her down in her crib while she's drowsy and that's it. She rolls over and goes to sleep.

Naps can be hit or miss and honestly it depends on how tired I am If I wait for her to initiate nap time (she'll sign "sleep") she usually goes down on her own but if I want her to go down earlier because I'm tired I'll bring her into my bed and snuggle her and she'll fall asleep.
Old 05-20-2010, 08:12 AM
Gettin' Lei'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sign Of The Fish Burger View Post
Yup. I agree with you there. My pedi strongly advises against any sort of night weaning/CIO before a year, as many babies take in a huge amount of their daily caloric needs at night.

Obviously we do not CIO. We did a modified version of the NCSS and the Dr. Jay Gordon Nightweaning plan at 14 months old when I night weaned her.
I do not know why I always call him Jay Cutler instead of Jay Gordon I love that man & his plan, it totally worked for us and was so nice to have a gentle nightweaning plan that was aimed at older toddlers.
Go Back   Mothers' Hideaway > Kiddie Island > The Kiddie Pool

Tags
sleep, style, training