Go Back   Mothers' Hideaway > Kiddie Island > The Kiddie Pool

Notices

Old 10-18-2012, 10:04 AM
Gettin' Lei'd

Cold medicine safe for 13 month old?

Is there one?

Poor Sydney is miserable. Sneezing like crazy, runny nose and she sounds so congested.

What can I get her?
Old 10-18-2012, 10:13 AM
Cabana Girl

Benedryl is about the only med you can give at that age. Also just the standard saline/nose bulb/keep her in bathroom while shower runs/humidifier routine. Hope she feels better soon.
Old 10-18-2012, 10:27 AM
Mommy to a Warrior

I think all we did for Will was a lot if what Heather said. Little noses saline, humidifier, baby Vicks, and Tylenol
Old 10-18-2012, 10:28 AM
Just Call Me Fergus

I would do a warm humidifier, with some vicks in it (you can get the liquid stuff by the humidifiers). Other than that I would maybe give her some benadryl. I don't think anything else will really benefit her, along with the symptoms sounds to be more allergy/sinus related than a true cold. Is she coughing any? What color is the mucus from the nose? If it's clear its probably sinuses draining. If it's yellow or green it could be a sinus infection, in which her peds would need to see her.
Old 10-18-2012, 10:45 AM
Cabana Girl

If it's bad, I do a combination of benadryl and advil - the advil reduces the inflammation and the benadryl helps to dry up the mucus. I also do the saline, let it stay in a while, then try to suction. Sometimes she's so congested I can't get anything out, so I just put the saline in to try to thin it so it will run out or down her throat.

Also, I used to heat chicken noodle soup, add some tumeric (a spice), then use a strainer to get out all the noodles and chicken, and put the warm broth into a sippy cup. With Sam, I started that when he was about 5-6 months old, if he was sick and it seemed to help.
Old 10-18-2012, 11:07 AM
Gettin' Lei'd

They've pretty much eliminated all meds specifically for colds for anyone under 6. :/ It's frustrating. The saline, warm baths, and humidifiers can help. You can also bring her in with you while you take a hot shower, maybe put her in a high chair with some toys. The steam can help loosen congestion.
Old 10-18-2012, 12:13 PM
Loving my 2 little men

We do Hylands cold remedy. I think that's the name. Can't say it works though lol
Old 10-18-2012, 01:36 PM
Gettin' Lei'd

I've never given cold medicine to kids and now that it's all off the market, I'm okay with it. All three of mine have colds right now. The best thing you can do for congestion is try running the shower in the bathroom and steaming it up good. Use a humidifier at night. Wipe nose frequently and bulb syringe it if necessary. It sucks but every time my kids get a cold, I just say, well, at least they're building up their immune systems more.
Old 10-18-2012, 02:32 PM
Cabana Girl

My doctor tells me that it is ok to give the kids cold medicine in very limited doses.
I try not to, but when Bri's cough is bad and keeping her up, we use delsym.
Old 10-18-2012, 02:56 PM
Canuck Mama

The reason cold medicine for kids was pulled off the shelves was because parents were giving the wrong dosage not because it's dangerous (unless given the wrong dosage).

Hyland's makes one but we've never used it. There's another type too, can't think of the name off the top of my head, but it's for coughs not colds specifically. Pharmacists here recommend it for kids that are coughing badly. I'll come back with the name.
Go Back   Mothers' Hideaway > Kiddie Island > The Kiddie Pool

Tags
cold, medicine, month, safe