Go Back   Mothers' Hideaway > The Cabana > The Cabana

Notices

Old 11-28-2009, 09:30 PM
Mommy to a Warrior

Charities

The holiday season seems to be the busy time for most charities. Everyone seems to be in the giving mood. DH and I recieved a check in the mail as a credit back from our water company from when we were in the other house. It was an unexpected $80.00 so we decided to buy gifts for the Angel Tree on base. We bought clothes and diapers for two different babies on the tree. We are hoping to do some volunteer work too and get into the habit of volunteering more often.

Do you give to charities during the holidays? Is there a certain charity you give to every year or do you just give to one you see or hear about?
Old 11-28-2009, 09:35 PM
Taking a break

I regularly donate to MELD throughout the year. They have a house here that helps and houses homeless and at-risk prgnant teens/teen mothers. I guess it's a cause that's near and dear to my heart. At Christmas time I give extra donations of toys as well as the usual formula, baby food and diapers.
Old 11-28-2009, 10:39 PM
aka Goosey

We arent consistent givers. If I have a spare buck then I give to the charities you see at the store(where you get your name on a balloon or something and stuck up in a window).
Some holiday seasons when we've had extra we've given to St Judes.

I prefer helping children over anything else. This year we are sorely missing in the "extra" department so I dont know if we will be able to give at all.

I do want to try and buy a cheap but cute gift and have the boys put it in the Toys 4 Tots box.
Old 11-28-2009, 10:59 PM
Canuck Mama

Once or twice a year we give to the local food bank when they have a drive at the grocery store. They park a city bus out front of the store which helps me remember to buy something while we're there.

Other than that we give to one for prostate cancer every year. A guy my DH works with rides his Harley in it so he sponsors him. If there's an opportunity for us to give to Toy Mountain we do but with me not working it's a bit of a hassle (gifts were collected at my office when I was working but now we'd have to drive the gifts to the other side of the city so it's a pain).
Old 11-29-2009, 07:51 AM
Loving my 2 little men

I usually give toys during the holidays. WHen I worked, in the church they do a toy drive for mothers who are in jail and have to give gifts to their children so I donated to that one and one for the books.

Since i'm no longer working and at the church often (where the boys went to preschool) I'll probably just drop the toys off at the local CVS or if I go by the boys again I'll bring something.
Old 11-29-2009, 09:32 AM
Gettin' Lei'd

I give $25 a month to Best Friends (bestfriends.org)
Old 11-29-2009, 11:50 AM
Lucky mama

We donate to Susan B Komen for the Cure consistently, and other breast cancer and ovarian cancer research throughout the year. During the season we give to the Salvation Army and usually contribute to Toys for Tots. We need to make sure we do that this year even with our craziness!
Old 11-29-2009, 09:46 PM
Mommy to a Warrior

I just remembered we also did Toys for Tots. I happened to be at BRU looking for some lounge pants for William and decided to donate. I was lucky to find a great clearance section so I bought some teethers and rattles for only $1.99 each.

DH and I are still on the look out for volunteer opportunities. DH volunteers regularly but we wanted to do something together. It's kind of hard though because everything is in Phoenix and we are about 40-60 min away. I hate driving into Phoenix.
Old 11-30-2009, 03:30 PM
Administrator

I used to do a lot with the Lupus Foundation, but haven't done anything this year?
Go Back   Mothers' Hideaway > The Cabana > The Cabana

Tags
charities